Household Hazardous Waste is practically everywhere. Remember, it may not be disposed of in the trash. Bring the following items to collection sites for safe disposal.
- Automotive Products
(Motor Oil, Transmission Fluid, Brake fluid, Antifreeze, Gasoline, Kerosene)
- Household Products
(Drain & Oven Cleaners, Spot Remover, Dry Cleaning Fluid, Rug cleaner)
- Paint Products
(Paint Thinner, Turpentine, Oil Base Paint, Furniture Stripper)
(Dyes, Lighter Fluid, Photographic Chemicals, Swimming Pool Cleaners, Concrete Sealers)
The County's Household Hazardous Waste Collection Program will be held at other locations. County residents may bring materials to any of the regional locations. The amount is limited to 220 pounds per vehicle and each container can be no more than five (5) gallons. All collection sites are open from 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM
- MontCo Household Hazardous Waste Collection Schedule and Location
The County also has Tire Collection Program held at various locations.
How to Package Household Hazardous Waste for Transportation
The guidelines for safely transporting household hazardous waste to collection sites are as follows:
- Keep all products in original containers with labels intact.
- Wrap leaking containers in newspaper and place in plastic bag or garbage container. Make sure all lids and caps are tight.
- Place items securely in a box for transport. Use newspaper or cardboard as filler.
- Place chemicals, which will react with one another, in separate parts of the vehicle.
- Do not leave materials in hot, unventilated area for long periods of time.
- Do not smoke near chemicals.
The following items will not be accepted:
Latex paint, electronics, appliances, asbestos, explosives, ammunition, infectious biologically-active wastes, radioactive material, alkaline household batteries, Propane or Helium tanks, items containing Freon and tires.
Additional County Information
- Bucks: 215-345-3400
- Chester: 610-273–3771
- Delaware: 610-892-9627
- Montgomery: 610-278-3618
- City of Philadelphia: 215-686-5560
- Lower Merion Township: 610-667-1952
- Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection: DEP Office Contacts