Township of Lower Merion Police Ride-Along Program (Temporarily Suspended)
The Lower Merion Police Department Ride Along Program is designed to help educate the community about what the police department does on a daily basis and to help residents become familiar with the officers and the department.
The program is intended to develop partnerships with the community through interaction and to foster a better understanding of the challenges, hazards and rewards of being a police officer in Lower Merion Township.
To be considered for the Ride Along Program, applicants:
- Must be at least 18 years of age;
- Must pass a limited background check. Applicants with outstanding warrants, crime conviction, violent crime arrests, or pending criminal charges will be denied.
- Must have an acceptable history of sound mental health.
- Must complete and submit Request for Ride-Along Form
- Must be willing to comply with the program rules and guidelines (outlined below);
- Must not have participated in a Lower Merion Township Ride-Along in the past 12 months.
- Lower Merion Reserves the right to reject any Ride-Along request.
Program Rules and Guidelines
- Arrange for transportation to and from the Lower Merion Police Station.
- In order to comply with department policies and procedures, you MUST utilize the safety belts and safety equipment in the police vehicle.
- You WILL NOT be able to photograph, videotape or tape record any portion of the Ride Along unless approved by the Superintendent of Police.
- Certain police calls are considered inherently dangerous and your police partner may respond to the call after dropping you off at a safe place. Follow the procedure outlined by your police partner and wait for a police vehicle to pick you up. Participants must stay in the police vehicle unless otherwise instructed.
- You are encouraged to ask questions about police work.
- DO NOT interfere in any way with the officer’s handling of a situation. You may ask questions concerning a specific assignment after it has been completed and you have left the scene.
- You may observe an event on your Ride-Along that may require your appearance in court as a witness.
- The waiver of liability which is on the Request for Ride-Along form is to be completed by you and notarized. In essence, it releases the Lower Merion Police Department and the Township of Lower Merion, PA., from any liability.
- Wear neat, clean, appropriate clothing. Shorts, sweat suits or jogging suits, tank tops, halter-tops, or clothing that is torn, soiled or displays offensive language or symbols will not be allowed.
- Ride-Along participants may not carry a firearm or any other weapon.
- Participants must provide the assigned officer with proper identification prior to the Ride-Along.
If you are interested in applying for a Ride-Along, please download the Request for a Ride-Along Form and return the form either in person or by mail to:
Lower Merion Police Department