How to Report Environmental Problems in Lower Merion Township

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

The following information is provided by the Township's Environmental Advisory Council who would like to remind business owners and residents of the procedures for reporting environmental problems in the township.

  1. Emergency situations

  2. Illegal dumping of chemicals, pool water, hazardous materials and used motor oil into storm drains or waterways:

    1. Call the Police at 911 and then call the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection's emergency number at 484-250-5900. Please do not attempt to stop a spill or clean up any materials that may be toxic or hazardous to your health.

    2. If you find a large number of dead fish or other wildlife in or around a waterway, call the Police at 911 and the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection's emergency number at 484-250-5900.

  3. Non-emergency situations

  4. Citizens Complaint - Illicit Discharge Reporting Form (pdf) - mail to the Township's Public Works Department at 75 E Lancaster Ave, Ardmore, PA 19903 or fax to 610-645-6152.

    Illegal dumping of trash, such as yard debris, construction debris or household items (e.g. furniture, clothing, loose garbage):

    1. Call or email Joe Driscoll at the Township's Building Division at 610-645-6200.

    2. For calls after business hours, call the police at their non-emergency number at 610-649-1000.

    Erosion and sedimentation problems such as large amounts of sediment/dirt leaving a property and entering streets or waterways:

    1. Call or email Cliff Gibian at the Township's Building Division at 610-645-6200.

  5. General Information

    1. The Township receives many complaints about residents and business owners who do not properly store trash. Please help the township and your neighbors by complying with township ordinances and place your trash containers outside only after 7:00 PM the night before collection. Please ensure that your trash is within a closed container that is properly secured to prevent the contents from being spread around by wind or animals. Violations of these ordinances may result in a fine. If you have any questions regarding trash disposal please call the Township's Refuse Division at 610-667-1952.

    2. Please note the household trash does not include construction material, carpeting or padding, or large bulky items or appliances. These items require a special pickup application form to be filled out, which is available at the Public Works Department in the Township Administration Building.

    3. Recyclable items include green, brown and clear glass, #1 and #2 plastics, metal and bi-metallic food and beverage cans. Mixed Paper includes newspapers, magazines, catalogs, "junk mail", telephone books, notebooks and school paper (including spiral bound books), soft and hardback books and textbooks, shopping and pet food bags (without plastic liners), chipboard packaging (including nonperishable food boxes), beer and soda cartons and six-pack packaging, cracker, cake and cereal boxes (without plastic pouches or inserts). No corrugated boxes are accepted.

    4. The Township also has a "Pooper Scooper" Ordinance that requires owners to clean up after their dogs. Violations of this ordinance may also result in a fine. The ordinance also allows an offended party to seek redress from the court after notification to the offender and the Township.


Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer