This webpage serves as the clearing house for the Comprehensive Update to the Lower Merion Zoning Code and Subdivision Regulations and will be updated regularly with relevant information.
This project builds upon the 2016 Comprehensive Plan process that resulted in a consensus-driven, solution-oriented vision for the future. The vision of the Comprehensive Plan is to:
"Preserve Lower Merion's classic residential neighborhoods, township's village cores and commercial areas to improve walkability, expand transit use, and encourage design excellence."
A primary recommendation of the Comprehensive Plan is to prepare a new, user-friendly Zoning Code to achieve the community's vision.
The project launched in January 2017 with the Board of Commissioners' selection of DPZ Partners, LLC for this historic undertaking. The draft Zoning Code was publicly distributed on October 24, 2018.
- Draft 3.1 Zoning Code
- Previous Drafts:
Phase 1: Assessment and Analysis of the existing Zoning Code was completed in September 2017.
Phase 2: Drafting of the New Zoning Regulations was completed October 2018.
Phase 3: Adoption Process is underway.
Upcoming Meetings - Full Meeting Schedule
- 09/18/19 @ 7:30 - Board of Commissioners Meeting - Public Hearing and adoption of the new zoning code.
March 24, 2019 Civic Engagement Committee Meeting.
Presentations & Meeting Notes
- 08/01/19: PC Meeting
- 07/31/19: B&P Meeting- Recording- Authorization to Advertise a public hearing and notice of intent to adopt the draft Zoning Code.
- 07/22/19: PC Meeting
- 07/17/19: B&P Meeting- Recording
- 07/10/19: B&P Meeting- Recording
- 07/01/19: PC Meeting
- 06/24/19: PC Meeting
- 06/05/19: B&P Meeting - Recording
- 05/22/19: B&P Meeting - Recording
- 05/02/19: Civic Engagement Committee Meeting
- 04/24/19: B&P Meeting - Recording
- 04/04/19: Civic Engagement Committee Meeting- Presentation & Meeting Notes
- 03/27/19: B&P Meeting - Medium Density Residential/Commercial - Presentation - Recording
- 03/25/19: Regional Civic Association Meeting: Merion, Merion Park, NCBC, Belmont Hills, and Narberth - Meeting Notes
- 03/07/19: CEC Presentation - Commercial Area Zoning - Meeting Notes
- 02/25/19: Regional Civic Association Meeting: Meeting Notes (Ardmore Progressive Ard-Wood, North Ardmore, Wynnewood, Shortridge, Penn Wynne, and Wynnewood Valley)
- 02/07/19: CEC Presentation - Medium Density Residential Zoning - Meeting Notes
- 01/31/19: Regional Civic Association Meeting: Meeting Notes (Haverford, Gladwyne, Bryn Mawr, Penn Valley, and Rosemont-Villanova)
- 01/23/19: B&P Meeting - Low/medium density single-family residential - Presentation - Recording
- 01/10/19: CEC Presentation - Low/medium density single-family zoning - Meeting Notes
- 11/28/18: B&P Meeting - Staff presentation of Code consistency with Comp Plan - Presentation - Recording
- 11/07/18: B&P Meeting - DPZ Presentation of Draft Zoning Code - Presentation - Recording
- 06/19/18: DPZ Presentation to Lower Merion Township Civic Associations and Meeting Notes
- 05/31/18: CEC Presentation - Residential Land Use
- 05/30/18: B&P Presentation - Residential Land Uses
- 02/28/18: B&P Presentation - Institutional Land Uses
- 11/29/17: Retail Market Analysis Presentation - Recording
- 11/09/17: Lower Merion Conservancy - Historic Preservation Zoning Lecture Presentation
- 10/30/17: Panelist Discussion on DPZ Selected Videos and Readings Presentation
- 10/26/17: Lower Merion Conservancy - Open Space Zoning Lecture Presentation
- 09/27/17: B&P Presentation
- 09/26/17: CEC Presentation
- 06/12/17: CEC Presentation
Deliverables and Early Drafts
- Institutional Zoning - Q&A
- Retail Market Analysis - A study to inform policy decisions regarding commercial standards in the updated Zoning Code.
- Draft Synoptic Survey
- Stakeholder Interview Summary - July 2017
DPZ Videos and Suggested Readings
Gain a better understanding of the zoning project by reviewing the list of selected videos and readings compiled by DPZ. Many of the selected reading materials are now available through the Lower Merion Library System.
Technical Proposal and RFP
- DPZ Technical Proposal
- Request for Proposals for Professional Planning & Code Analysis Services for the Comprehensive Update to the Zoning Code & Subdivision Regulations (RFP)
Township Planning Documents
- 10 Important Things to Know about the Draft Zoning Code
- Comprehensive Plan
- Community Map
- White Paper: Assessment of Current Standards and Suggestions for Revisions