This webpage serves as the clearing house for the Comprehensive Update to the Lower Merion Zoning Code and Subdivision Regulations and will be updated regularly with relevant information.
This project builds upon the Comprehensive Plan process that resulted in a consensus-driven, solution-oriented vision for the future. The vision of the 2016 Comprehensive Plan is to "Preserve Lower Merion's classic residential neighborhoods, township's village cores and commercial areas to improve walkability, expand transit use, and encourage design excellence." A primary recommendation of the Comprehensive Plan is to prepare a new, user-friendly Zoning Code to achieve the community's vision.
The project launched in January 2017 with the Board of Commissioners' selection of DPZ Partners, LLC for this historic undertaking. The draft Zoning Code was publicly distributed on October 24, 2018.
- Draft Zoning Code dated October 11, 2018
- Link to Interactive Draft Zoning Map (posted 11/07/18)
- Residential Zoning Equivalency Chart
- 10 Important Things to Know about the Draft Zoning Code
Phase 1: Assessment and Analysis of the existing Zoning Code was completed in September 2017.
Phase 2: Drafting of the New Zoning Regulations was completed October 2018.
Phase 3: Adoption Process is underway.
Public Involvement Opportunities
The consultant team will regularly update the Board of Commissioners and the public throughout the project. Additionally, the consultant team will meet on a regular basis with a Civic Engagement Committee who will assist in informing, updating, and educating the public about this zoning effort. There will be opportunities for public input during the course of this project as outlined below. Dates for additional public meetings will be posted as they are confirmed.
Upcoming Meetings and Educational Sessions - PDF
02/25/19: Regional Civic Association Meeting (7 pm - 9 pm)
- Ardmore Progressive, Ard-Wood, North Ardmore, Wynnewood, Shortridge, Penn Wynne, and Wynnewood Valley
- 02/27/19: CANCELLED - B&P Meeting 4
- 03/04/19: Monthly Planning Commission Zoning Update Discussion (6 pm – 7 pm)
- 03/07/19: Civic Engagement Committee Meeting (7 pm - 9 pm)*
03/25/19: Regional Civic Association Meeting (7pm - 9 pm)
- Merion, Merion Park, the Neighborhood Club of Bala Cynwyd, Belmont Hills, and Narberth
- Date TBD: Neighboring Communities Planning Commissions and Planning Directors
- 03/27/19: B&P Meeting 5 - Medium Density Residential/Commercial/ Historic Preservation (Approx. 6 pm)
- 04/01/19: Monthly Planning Commission Zoning Update Discussion (6 pm – 7 pm)
- 04/04/19: Civic Engagement Committee Meeting (7 pm - 9 pm)*
- 04/24/19: B&P Meeting 6 - Institutional (Approx. 6 pm)
- 05/06/19: Monthly Planning Commission Zoning Update Discussion (6 pm – 7 pm)
- 05/02/19: Civic Engagement Committee Meeting (7 pm - 9 pm)*
- 05/22/19: B&P Meeting 7 - Institutional/Edits (Approx. 6 pm)
- 06/05/19: B&P Meeting 8 - Edits (Approx. 6 pm)
- 06/10/19: Special Planning Commission Meeting (Approx. 6 pm)
- 06/12/19: Meeting 9 - BOC meeting - Authorization to Advertise and send to County (45 days)
- 07/31/19: Meeting 10 - BOC Meeting - Public Hearing intent to adopt 7
* Open house preceding meeting from 6 pm - 7 pm.
- 02/07/19: CEC Meeting - Medium Density Residential Zoning
- 02/04/19: PC Monthly Update
- 01/31/19: Regional Civic Association Meeting: Haverford, Gladwyne, Bryn Mawr, Penn Valley, and Rosemont-Villanova
- 01/23/19: B&P Meeting 3 - Low/medium density single-family residential - Presentation
- 01/10/19: CEC Meeting - Low Density Residential Zoning - Presentation
- 11/28/18: B&P Meeting 2 - Staff presentation of Code consistency with Comp Plan - Presentation - Recording
- 11/07/18: B&P Meeting 1 - DPZ Presentation of Draft Zoning Code - Presentation - Recording
- 06/19/18: DPZ Presentation to Lower Merion Township Civic Associations and Meeting Notes
- 05/31/18: CEC Presentation - Residential Land Uses
- 05/30/18: B&P Presentation - Residential Land Uses
- 02/28/18: B&P Presentation - Institutional Land Uses (external link)
- 11/29/17: Retail Market Analysis Presentation - Recording
- 11/09/17: Lower Merion Conservancy - Historic Preservation Zoning Lecture Presentation
- 10/30/17: Panelist Discussion on DPZ Selected Videos and Readings Presentation
- 10/26/17: Lower Merion Conservancy - Open Space Zoning Lecture Presentation
- 09/27/17: B&P Presentation
- 09/26/17: CEC Presentation
- 06/12/17: CEC Presentation
Deliverables and Early Drafts
- Draft Zoning Code - Residential
- Draft Residential Maps - Direct Translation
- Draft Zoning Equivalency Tables
- Institutional Zoning - Q&A
- Retail Market Analysis - A study to inform policy decisions regarding commercial standards in the updated Zoning Code.
- Draft Synoptic Survey
- Stakeholder Interview Summary - July 2017
DPZ Videos and Suggested Readings
Gain a better understanding of the zoning project by reviewing the list of selected videos and readings compiled by DPZ. Many of the selected reading materials are now available through the Lower Merion Library System.
Technical Proposal and RFP
- DPZ Technical Proposal
- Request for Proposals for Professional Planning & Code Analysis Services for the Comprehensive Update to the Zoning Code & Subdivision Regulations (RFP)
Township Planning Documents
- Comprehensive Plan
- Community Map
- White Paper: Assessment of Current Standards and Suggestions for Revisions