If you currently work in a high-rise building, you should know the following:
- The emergency evacuation plan.
- The location of all exits. Remember the elevators may be out of operation during an emergency.
- In a building explosion, remain calm, stay low to the floor and exit the building in a quickly and orderly fashion.
- If items are falling, get under a sturdy table or desk.
- Cover your nose and mouth with a wet cloth.
- When approaching a closed door, do not open it if it is hot to the touch.
Find an alternative exit.
- If the door is not hot, brace yourself against the door and open it slowly.
- If you are trapped, use a flashlight, which will identify your location. Stay in your area and do not disturb your environment by kicking up dust or tapping a pipe or a wall so that rescuers can hear you. Shout only as a last resort to avoid inhaling dangerous amounts of dust. Do not attempt to rescue people if you are untrained. Wait for emergency personnel to arrive.