The purpose behind such threats is to make a statement; therefore, advance notification is not likely to occur. If you do receive a bomb threat, keep the caller on the line as long as possible and try to silently indicate to another person to call 9-1-1 from another phone. If this is not possible, do the following:
- Get as much information from the caller as possible.
- Attempt to keep the caller on line and record everything that they say.
- Listen for background noise that may be of value.
- Listen to caller's voice for recognizable speech patterns.
- Once the call is terminated, call trace (*57) and then call the police.
- Notify building management to determine if evacuation is warranted.