In 2008, the Township completed a master plan for a new 1.056 acre neighborhood park to be built at Linwood and Athens Avenue in the Ardmore section of Lower Merion. The property was purchased in 2007 with Montgomery County Open Space funds.
The study was conducted by the consulting team of Studio Gaea and Salt Design Studio. It involved extensive public participation and considered existing significant social, historical, cultural and environmental conditions as part of the planning process. The resulting plan, an innovative, creative blend of passive and active open space that uses sustainable design concepts received a Merit Award form the Pennsylvania / Delaware Chapter of the American Society of Landscape Architects.
Phase I construction was completed in 2009. Work included demolishing the parking lot, grading the park, installing new curbs and sidewalks and street-side parking, stormwater improvements, hardscaping, planting trees and shrubs and installing site amenities such as benches and trash receptacles.
Final Master Plan ( 15.88 MB)
Links to studies, maps, images, etc. will be posted on this page.
Park Proposal Overview ( 6 MB)
- Feb 26, 2008 -- 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm -- Public Meeting
- Mar 29, 2008 -- 9:30 am to 12:30 pm -- Design Workshop -- Adults Only
- Apr 5, 2008 -- 9:30 am to 11:30 am -- Design Workshop -- Children 5-12 (accompanied by an adult)
- June 10, 2008 -- 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm -- Public Meeting
Meeting and Workshop Notes
- Feb 26, 2008 -- 1st Public Meeting Notes
- Mar 29 & Apr 5, 2008 -- Workshop Notes
- May 22, 2008 -- Study Committee Minutes
Phase II Design Process
- Community Workshop Ideas
- Other Public Spaces, Playgrounds or Parks of Note
- What Makes a Successful Park?
- Phase II Design Concepts
- American Playgrounds-Revitalizing Community Space by Susan G. Solomon
- Between Landscape Architecture and Land Art by Udo Weilbacher
Inventory and Analysis Presentation ( 3.5 MB)
- Park Precedents
- Existing Conditions
- Historical Evolution
- Environmental Structure
- Opportunities and Constraints
- June 10, 2008 Public Meeting Presentation
Draft Master Plan
Linwood Master Plan Report - Draft 07-30-08 ( 11.6 MB)
"What makes a great park?"
by Commissioner Jane Dellheim April 9, 2008
Visit the Facebook page of Friends of Linwood Park at www.facebook.com/linwoodpark for continuing updates