This webpage serves as the clearing house for the Comprehensive Update to the Lower Merion Zoning Code and Subdivision Regulations and will be updated regularly with relevant information.
This project builds upon the Comprehensive Plan process that resulted in a consensus-driven, solution-oriented vision for the future. The vision of the 2016 Comprehensive Plan is to "Preserve Lower Merion's classic residential neighborhoods, township's village cores and commercial areas to improve walkability, expand transit use, and encourage design excellence." A primary recommendation of the Comprehensive Plan is to prepare a new, user-friendly Zoning Code to achieve the community's vision.
The project launched in January 2017 with the Board of Commissioners' selection of DPZ Partners, LLC for this historic undertaking.
Phase 1: Assessment and Analysis of the existing Zoning Code was completed in September 2017.
Phase 2: Drafting New Zoning Regulations is currently underway.
- Draft Zoning Code - Residential
- Draft Residential Maps - Direct Translation
- Draft Zoning Equivalency Tables
- Institutional Zoning - Q&A
- Retail Market Analysis - The study was completed to inform policy decisions regarding commercial standards in the updated Zoning Code.
- Draft Synoptic Survey
- Stakeholder Interview Summary - July 2017
Public Involvement Opportunities
The consultant team will regularly update the Board of Commissioners and the public throughout the project. Additionally, the consultant team will meet on a regular basis with a Civic Engagement Committee who will assist in informing, updating, and educating the public about this zoning effort. There will be opportunities for public input during the course of this project as outlined in the Public Involvement Plan. Dates for future public meetings will be posted as they are confirmed.
Gain a better understanding of the zoning project by reviewing the list of selected videos and readings compiled by DPZ. Many of the selected reading materials are now available through the Lower Merion Library System.
Upcoming Meetings and Educational Sessions
- To be announced
- 6/19/18 - DPZ Presentation to Lower Merion Township Civic Associations
- 5/31/18 - Civic Engagement Committee Presentation - Residential Land Uses
- 5/30/18 - Building & Planning Committee Presentation - Residential Land Uses
- 2/28/18 - Building & Planning Committee Presentation - Institutional Land Uses (external link)
- 11/29/17 - Retail Market Analysis Presentation - Recording
- 11/09/17 - Lower Merion Conservancy - Historic Preservation Zoning Lecture Presentation
- 10/30/17 - Panelist Discussion on DPZ Selected Videos and Readings Presentation
- 10/26/17 - Lower Merion Conservancy - Open Space Zoning Lecture Presentation
- 9/27/17 - Building & Planning Committee Presentation
- 9/26/17 - Civic Engagement Committee Presentation
- 6/12/17 - Civic Engagement Committee Presentation
Technical Proposal and RFP
- DPZ Technical Proposal
- Request for Proposals for Professional Planning & Code Analysis Services for the Comprehensive Update to the Zoning Code & Subdivision Regulations (RFP)
Township Planning Documents
- Comprehensive Plan
- Community Map
- White Paper: Assessment of Current Standards and Suggestions for Revisions