310 Fishers Rd

Date of Construction: ca. 1896-1900
Original Architect:
Original Owner: Charles H. Wheeler
Description of the Resource: This small house, located on the northwest corner of Fishers and Carisbrook Roads, once belonged to the 128-acre “Pembrook,” of the Wheeler family. The farm began in the 1850s or 1860s by Charles Wheeler. Named “Pembrook” by 1887, the large property included several residential buildings and many outbuildings. This former lodge was constructed just before the turn of the 20th century, appearing on the 1900 atlas. Beginning around 1910, the Wheelers parceled off some of their land. After a large fire in the main house, the rest of the land was divided and by 1937, the lodge was on its own parcel. The lodge is a quaint, 1 ˝ story Queen Anne with half-timbered walls. At the intersection of the cross-gabled roof is a gabled porch, set at a 45-degree angle from the rest of the house. The porch is supported by spindled supports and has a decorative wooden lattice in the gable as well as decorative verge boards. The rear section of the house has parallel side gables. The walls in all the gables overhang the first story and have exposed rafters under the eave and overhang. (10/2012) Lodge of: Pembrook Farm. Frame outbuilding from once large estate of prominent local businessman Charles H. Wheeler. Addison Hutton designed Wheeler's house (since demolished) in 1870. (Ref: Bean p. 934; Toll p. 1452). Atlas suggests 1896-1913 date for lodge. BDPA lists Wilson Eyre as architect of alterations and additions to the lodge of Susan Wheeler in 1907. (88)
Class: 2
Street Classification: Minor
Name of Local Historic District: Not in a local district
Name of National Historic District: Not applicable
Reviewed By: Historical Commission
Inventory Index Number: BM031

A Photograph of the Resource will appear here if one is available. Note: Not all resources have photographs.


© Township of Lower Merion 2002-2013