Date of Construction: 1863-71
Original Owner: Pennsylvania Railroad
Description of the Resource: In 1863 Joshua Ashbridge donated a parcel of land from the Rosemont Farm property for the construction of the Rosemont Railroad Station. The station was constructed between 1863 and 1871. The Pennsylvania Railroad grew rapidly during this period and after, expanding service from only 3 stations in 1857 to 6 stations by 1869, 15 stations by 1875 and 30 by 1884. The Main Line grew up around the Railroad, and train stations were often used as examples of the most current and popular architectural styles. The Rosemont station is a brick and half-timbered Queen Anne structure. It is a cross-gabled building with a chimney at the center and a restrained shelter/porch with gabled dormer above on the east fašade facing the rail line; the building retains its massing despite the interior demolition and renovations it underwent in 1983 when it was partially converted to office space. Historically it was also the site of the post office, express and telegraph office. (10/2012) The Rosemont Railroad Station of the late 19th century is built of brick with typical shelters supported by wood posts. The building has been partially modernized for commercial office space.
Street Classification: Minor
Name of Local Historic District: Not in a local district
Name of National Historic District: Not applicable
Reviewed By: Historical Commission
Inventory Index Number: BM005