The Environmental Advisory Council has put together these pages to serve two purposes.
First, we hope that Lower Merion Township residents will use this information to learn about and become actively involved in township environmental events and issues.
Second, we hope that these pages provide residents and commercial businesses with information useful in making more informed decisions regarding environmental issues.
Chapter 13 of the Township Code established the Lower Merion Township Environmental Advisory Council (EAC) in 1985 and defines the roles and powers of the EAC. Generally, the EAC provides advice to the Board of Commissioners of Lower Merion Township, Planning Commission and township staff. Specifically, the EAC:
- Recommends plans and programs to the Board of Commissioners to promote and conserve the natural resources of other Township and to protect and improve the quality of the environment within the Township.
- Recommends possible use of open land areas within the Township.
- Promotes community environmental programs.
- Maintains an index of all open areas, publicly or privately owned, including but not limited to flood-prone areas, swamps and other unique natural areas, for the purpose of obtaining information on the proper use of such areas.
- Advises other advisory boards, agencies and officials of the Township as appropriate, in the acquisition of property in matters dealing with environmental issues.
The EAC meets publicly the fourth Tuesday of every month at the Lower Merion Township building. The agenda for each meeting is posted on the website calendar and the public is welcome to attend the meetings.
The EAC is composed of seven volunteer residents of Lower Merion Township. The current membership includes:
- Brian Hoppy — Chair
- Joseph Rudek — Vice Chair
- Bruce A. Bayne — Secretary
- Michael Hays
- Sara Schuh
- Mitchel Burrack
- David Richman
If you have any questions, please e-mail EAC@lowermerion.org
Environmental Action Plan - Revision 1 (2012-2016)
Meeting Minutes of the EACAs of January 2011, Minutes will be available in PDF form on the Reports and Archives page in the Meeting Minutes; Environmental Advisory Council section.
Upcoming EAC Meeting Dates
Subject to later notice of change of time and location, Environmental Advisory Council meetings will be held starting at approximately 7:00 PM on the following dates:
Go for the Green Awards Ceremony
2016 'Go for the Green' Awards
- Date: 05/12/2016 6:00 PM
- Location: Appleford Estate
770 Mt Moro Rd
Villanova, Pennsylvania 19085
The "2016 Go for the Green" Awards Ceremony will be held on Thursday, May 12, 2016 at 6:00 PM.
The deadline to submit a nomination is Thursday, March 17, 2016.
2016 Go for the Green Awards Application (PDF, 229 KB)
The ceremony will feature the following categories:
- Joseph M. Manko Lifetime Achievement Award
- Resident Award
- Commercial Award
- Educational Award
- Organization Award
The Go for the Green Awards are intended to encourage sensitivity to the environment and to recognize the efforts of those who are working to make the Lower Merion community a better place for future generations.
View Appleford with Google Maps.
For more information on the EAC’s “Go for the Green” environmental awards or to RSVP your attendance, e-mail Andrea Campisi or call (610) 645-6112.